Wednesday, June 9, 2010

High Five, or: The Day Trini Climbed a Hill

All right, the first thing we need to talk about here is Ranger Fashion, and by that I mean Fashion Don'ts. I understand that this is the 90s. I really do. But Kim, honey-- is the cropped, pink-pastel-striped jean jacket really necessary? Not to mention the fact that you matched both your scrunchie and your push-down socks to it. Jason, that muscle shirt does NOT cover your pecs and arms at all.

Actually, thank you.

Zack's choices aren't terrible. If he's auditioning for an MC Hammer video. I doubt even Hammer could get his hands on a pair of parachute pants with stripes like those. I won't mention Billy's overalls, because if I do it now, I'm going to have to do it every single time. They never change.

Interestingly, by wearing grey leggings and a yellow cropped tee shirt, Trini has the most conventional fashion choice of any of them. I applaud you, Trini. Or I would if I didn't know that that outfit isn't just for the Tai Chi class you're teaching and that you would also wear it to school. Or to the movies.

The plot of this episode is somewhat thin. Trini has a fear of heights. Okay. Really, who doesn't? I mean, I can't stand on the edge of a deck that's too high and look down without feeling queasy. Climbing a rope in the gym? Forget it (though that might have something to do with my wussy dancer arms). So I totally understand where Trini's coming from when she tells Jason to be careful when he starts climbing.

Man, I shipped these two SO HARD when I was five. I mean, and now.

This episode is, however, the site of a Power Ranger First: when Billy brings out the communicators he's made for them (and I mean seriously, a fifteen year old made these? It frightens me to think of Billy's possible future careers), Kim says "morphinominal" for the first time. We also see Trini translating what comes to be known as Billy-speak again, dumbing things down for her less intelligent friends. I wonder if any of them felt insulted as time went on. Like "Hey, Trini, actually, I knew what that meant, thanks".

On the moon, Rita's monster Finster is making monsters while she comes up with today's ~evil plan~. This time it's something about trapping the Rangers in time and freezing them there? Oh yeah, Rita, this sounds like a crackerjack idea.

Well, hey, except for the part where it totally worked with Zordon, 'cause that's why he's in that tube.

So, the monster Finster comes up with is called Bones, who looks like....a skeleton. Who saw that coming? Bueller? I know I didn't. And this time-freezing device looks suspiciously like the space shuttle Atlantis. Maybe after Rita was defeated some of her monsters went to work for NASA. When it gets to Earth, it's flying along the street like a creepy little hovercar and people are freaking out all around it, and when it stops, the nose falls off and it emits this rainbow-colored, strobey beam type thing that looks more like a castoff special effect from a disco video than anything dangerous.

So the alarms go off in the Command Center, and as usual Zordon knows what Rita's up to. He just can't do anything 'cause he's stuck in that tube. The worst part of this scene, however, is not that the Rangers have to go fight the putties, who by the way aren't really that scary. No, it's Jason's fashion choice. He decides, for some reason, to put on a short-sleeved white hoodie beneath his muscle shirt. Honey, why? A) I cannot ogle you anymore, and B) you look like a tool.

So we see Trini's fear of heights again now that Billy has to climb a hill to get away from the putties. Well, less of a hill and more of a craggy-rock-formation-thing, but the effect is the same. Anyway, Trini realizes that her BFF might need a hand, so she decides to follow him, because everyone can overcome their fear in the face of danger! Let's all be like Trini!

"I'm afraid, but I can do this. Billy needs me."

So. Inspiring.

Conveniently, Billy drops his morpher and really does need help. And can we discuss how the hill they're on wasn't that high when they started fighting, but has conveniently gotten higher now that Trini has to help Billy and OVERCOME HER FEAR? Billy ruins the moment, though, by telling her that she was "morphitudinous". Man, am I glad that never caught on like "morphinominal" did.

Kids, you'll eventually learn that the longer it takes you to defeat the Putties (who, honestly, can do you no real damage) the longer you can avoid whatever nasty monster Rita is going to send your way. This time it's Bones, Finster's masterpiece from earlier in the episode, and he can apparently jump long distances, fire energy bolts out of his eyes, and make himself disappear*.

So, they get trapped in the weird time dimension place, thanks to Bones, and it looks like something out of a Tim Burton movie. And the flying-monster and his black furry cronie whose name I can never remember are prancing around, trying to find a good place to put their dynamite so they can blow the dimension up and trap the Rangers there.

Now hold on. You can blow up a dimension? Let me just call Stephen Hawking and check on that.

Thankfully, after trying six million other ways and failing, Billy realizes that in order to defeat Bones they have to destroy his head. Trini does this by throwing it down a convenient pit, and the day is saved. Except, do we remember my rule from last time?

Rita always makes things bigger.

Except that unlike the usual the-monster-the-kids-fought-grows, this isn't a giant BONES, it's a giant.....I dunno, something weird that looks a bit like Iron Man. Or maybe Sir Lancelot.

Anyway, Jason manages to defeat it with his T-Rex Zord, because after a lot of fighting the T-Rex Zord manages to scream and start a sandstorm. Or at least, that was what it looked like to me.

You know, I always wondered how the Rangers could jump high enough to jump into the Zords. Is that a special Ranger power, or did they just have to work out and build really good calf muscles?

Anyway, the battle is over, and there's the word "morphinominal" again, this time courtesy of Zack. I'm going to start keeping count and see how many times it's used during the course of this show.

Now that the day is saved, the Rangers can go back to the Youth Center, where Ernie is telling a customer about how "Five superheros save the park from the zombie guy. And they call themselves the Power Rangers." What a coincidence that five color-coded teenagers happen to be sitting at a table right there.

Kids, let's talk about dressing monochromatically in your color. For example, the part about how it's a REALLY BAD IDEA.

At the end, we're at "morphinominal"-count: 3. The latest instance from Kim, who just gleefully said (in all seriousness) "This is SO 90s!" when given back her morpher by Billy.

Oh, honey. You have no idea.

*Sounds like a Pokemon I needed when I was trying to defeat Pokemon Crystal on my Gameboy Advance.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man, I remember this show. The nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I was inspired by an episode that came on ABC kids while I was on the treadmill....I tweeted so much from my phone that I was like "hmm, I might need an actual blog for this". Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete